After Murray's surprising loss to Pospisil, you started wondering if there were more upsets in the pipeline in the 2017 edition of Indian Wells. But Nadal looked supremely confident against Pella, Federer beat Robert and Djokovic fought through a tough challenge in Britains 22-year-old Kyle Edmund. Jo-Willy Tsonga, however, who have had such a stellar season so far, lost to Forrest Fabio Fognini Gump (“you never know what you're gonna get”).
We have some excellent third round matches coming up tonight (Europe time):
- Mischa Zverev vs Thiem – Can the dangerous net-rushing older Zverev brother bother Thiem? I think so. I pick Zverev to win in three.
- Carreno vs Bautista – Bautista is more comfortable on hard courts.
- Nishioka vs Berdych – Nishioka is a great talent, but Berdych is still too strong.
- Pospisil vs Lajovic – Pospisil will prevail, but Lajovic's groundstrokes are a joy to watch.
- Goffin vs Ramos – Goffin is Mr Solid here.
- Wawrinka vs Kohlschreiber – Kohlschreiber is a great talent, but often comes up short against the top 10. Some nice backhands in this one!
- Cuevas vs Fognini – Can Fognini sustain confidence and form from the previous round? You never know! But I think he likes hard courts better than Cuevas.
- Monfils vs Isner – Some tricky months for both men. I think Monfils will prevail based on him being the more complete player.
What are your thoughts about the above matches? Who do you think will win the tournament? Tennisnerd thrives on the discussion!